2022 Design for Freedom Summit
The first-ever Design for Freedom Summit was held on Thursday, March 31st, 2022 from 9am to 5:30pm at Grace Farms.
Prince Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein, CEO of International Peace Institute and former United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights and Sharon Prince, CEO and Founder of Grace Farms delivered stirring keynotes to kick off the day.
Panels and round tables were led by experts in fields such as architecture, law, and construction were centered around our core topics: corporate ethical responsibility, government policies, Design for Freedom Pilot Projects, and the future of the AEC Industry.
9:00 am | Breakfast, Registration, Exhibitions
- Common Good Through Crisis Exhibit with MASS Design with Alan Ricks, Maggie Stern, and Caitlin Taylor
- Peace Forest with Pentagram and Palette Architecture
10 am | Welcome Address and Opening Discussion
- Prince Zeid Ra’ad al Hussein, CEO of International Peace Institute and former United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights and Sharon Prince, CEO and Founder of Grace Farms
10:30 am | Corporate Ethical Responsibility Within the Material Supply Chain
As consumers show increasing interest in how products are sourced, manufactured, and distributed, corporations are taking a closer look at their sustainability goals through an ethical lens.
- Dr. Harriet Harris, Dean, Pratt Institute of Architecture
- Jane Abernathy, Chief Sustainability Officer, Humanscale
- Jennifer McCadney, Special Counsel, Kelley Drye & Warren
- Vanessa Barboni Hallik, CEO, Another Tomorrow
- Moderator: Nora Rizzo, Sustainable Materials Director, Grace Farms Foundation
Mid-Morning Break & Networking
11:45 am | Design for Freedom Pilot Projects & Ethical Procurement
The first Design for Freedom Pilot Projects are demanding more material transparency, creating awareness, and transforming the industry through advocacy and collaboration.
- Hayes Slade, Principal, Slade Architecture
- Lynn Temple, Preconstruction Executive, Turner Construction Company
- Annie Bevan, CEO, Mindful Materials
- Rick Cook, Founder, COOKFOX Architects
- Moderator: Chelsea Thatcher, Creative Director & Chief Advancement Officer, Grace Farms Foundation
12:30 pm | Roundtable Lunch Discussions
- Gaining Visibility into Your Supply Chain
- Ethical Material Sourcing Study
- Circularity & Risk Reduction
- Optimizing Material Transparency
- Advocating for Design for Freedom
2 pm | How Government Policy and Enforcement Impact Forced Labor in Supply Chains
Government agencies have an increasing responsibility to address the issue of forced labor. Explore how federal policies and regulatory frameworks can work to curb forced labor and improve supply chain traceability.
- Angel A. Dizon, Managing Director of Program Development, Coordination, and Support, U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations (DOS – OBO)
- Christine Foushee, Director of External Affairs, U.S. Department of State’s Overseas Building Operations (DOS – OBO)
- Michael Conlon, Assistant Special Agent in Charge, Department of Homeland Security Investigations (HSI)
- Moderator: Rod Khattabi, Chief Accountability Officer & Justice Initiative Director, Grace Farms Foundation
2:45 pm | Interactive Tech Talk: The Future of the AEC Industry
- Christopher Sharples, Principal, SHoP Architects
- Anna Dyson, Founding Director, Center for Ecosystems in Architecture (CEA) at Yale
3:30 pm | Break
- Alyson Shotz’s Temporal Shift sculpture with Design for Freedom Pilot Partner Joseph Mizzi from Sciame Construction
- Common Good Through Crisis Exhibit with Alan Ricks, Maggie Stern, and Caitlin Taylor from MASS Design Group
4:30 pm | Cocktail Hour & Networking
Roundtable Facilitators and Design for Freedom Working Group Members: Andrew Klemmer, Paratus Group; Ann Roland, FXCollaborative; Annabel Short, Institute for Human Rights and Business; Benjamin Prosky, AIA NY & Center for Architecture; Bill DuBois, Gensler; Brian Ulicny, Raytheon BBN Technologies; Cathleen McGuigan, Architectural Record; Claire Weisz, WXY Studio; Debbie Propst, MillerKnoll; Florian Idenburg, SO-IL; Jared Gilbert, COOKFOX Architects, Jay Gorman, Sciame Construction; Leslie King, Construction Litigation, Carlton Fields; Nadine Berger, SHoP Architects; Nat Oppenheimer, Silman; Patricia Saldana Natke, UrbanWorks and IIT; Paul Bradley, Lendlease (U.S.); Paul Clemence, Architectural Photographer; Phil Bernstein, Yale School of Architecture; Shawn MacDonald, Verité